Speed dating is something that has permeated American culture so deeply that even those who aren’t looking for a life-long partner know what it is. It is meeting many people in a short amount of time in hopes of finding a date. That may sound like a corny and desperate way to find a date, but it is more effective than you might think.
History of Speed Dating
Though speed dating is a relatively new trend, it is actually rooted in a very ancient tradition. Originally, it was started by a rabbi and his wife who based it on an old Jewish tradition. The purpose of this tradition was to allow Jewish singles to be able to meet people of like faith. Now, speed dating has caught on so well in America and other nations that people of all faiths and walks of life use it to meet potential life partners.
How Is Speed Dating Done?
It is your first night attending a speed-dating event. Yeah, that’s right, your first night. So now what? Know what is going on. Don’t go in blind on your first speed-dating event. Make sure you are aware of these few things that you should expect on a speed date.
- First, there are usually one or two rows of tables with room for two people to sit at each table. One side is for the girls, and the another side is for the guys.
- A number of people at a speed-dating event can vary, but there are usually ten couples.
- Each speed date will last from three to eight minutes. In that time, you and your date get the chance to ask each other any questions you want. However, you only get a few minutes. As soon as the timer goes off, you have to cut off your conversation and move on to the next person.
- At the end of the speed-dating event, you give the date card that you received at the beginning of the event to the organizer of the event. You can then go online and match yourself to the people you liked at the event. If someone has a mutual interest in you, you will be able to exchange contact information with them and plan a date.
Why Speed Date?
Speed dating is easier on people because there is no drama included. Unlike online dating, you have five minutes to talk with a person before you decide to go on a date. That means five minutes to have a one on one conversation. Though five minutes is not enough time to get to know a person, you will know enough about them to see if you want to go on a date with them. No more meeting someone who is nothing like their online profile. Instead, you can approach a date with more confidence because you have already met the person.
What to Ask During Speed Dating Event
In speed dating, you have only a few minutes to ask the person sitting across from you some meaningful questions that will give you some good insight. But what do you ask? Here are some questions that can help you get the conversation rolling fast and allow you to find out more about the person in front of you.
- What is your name? (Make sure you know each other’s name before you begin the conversation. It is merely the polite thing to do.)
- What makes you happy or angry?
- What makes you laugh?
- Where are you from?
- Where do you live?
- What is your favorite book?
- What do you like to do for fun?
- What do you do for a living?
- What is the craziest thing you have ever done?
- What is your main goal in life?
What to Wear for Speed Dating Event
Believe it or not, what you wear can make a difference in how people see you. Here are a few things you can use to enhance your image at the speed-dating event.
- Wear a smile. People are always more impressed with a person who looks pleasant.
- Wear attractive colors. For guys, the color blue is usually attractive to women, and for girls, the color red is attractive to men.
- Ladies, watch those necklines. While you may be encouraged to wear a low-neck line so that they guy will pay attention to your breasts, this is not a good idea in the end. The guy will be distracted from talking with you and more focused on your breasts. (And think about it, do you want a guy that is going on a date with your cleavage or you?)
- Wear something that smells nice. Whether it is cologne or perfume, a nice smell will add to your speed date’s impression of you. Just be careful not to dump it on. A strong scent can be obnoxious.
You may not find your true love at a speed dating event, but speed dating outings are still fun. At the very least, you will meet friends. And who knows? If you keep going to speed dating events, you may find that person who is just right for you. You’ll never know until you try. View pics for free now on Match.com, the #1 dating site!