You’re sitting in a cozy cafe, sipping coffee with your guy friend, boyfriend, or just someone you recently met online.
The sunlight streams in through the window, casting a warm glow as you both laugh and chat about everything from your favorite Netflix series to your shared love of travel.
And then, out of the blue, the guy jokingly refers to you as his wife.
In that instant, a whirlwind of emotions sweeps over you making you feel surprised, confused, and excited – all at the same time.
Could it be that he’s testing to see if you might be open to getting married?
|Why You Should Join?
|Check it Out
|Best for Dating
|Best for Serious Relationships
Or is it simply a playful tease to make you laugh and nothing more?
As you grapple with these questions, countless scenarios play out in your mind.
You might recall that time when you both attended a friend’s wedding, and he jokingly referred to the two of you as “next in line”.
Or perhaps you remember that one late-night chat when you’d been discussing your dreams of settling down and starting a family, and he’d playfully called you his “future wife.”
In each case, you found yourself wondering what was really going on beneath the surface of his words.
Don’t miss: Top 5 Signs He Wants to Marry You in the Future
What Does It Mean When a Guy Jokingly Calls You His Wife?
Scenario 1: Boyfriend refers to his girlfriend as “wife”
In this situation, the guy already has a romantic relationship with the girl and may have been using the term “wife” as a playful way to suggest that he is very serious about her.
If you find yourself in this situation, it might be an indication that your boyfriend is thinking about a more serious and long-term relationship with you.
It could be his way of testing the waters and gauging your reaction to the idea of marriage or a deeper commitment.
Scenario 2: Male friend calls female friend “wifey”
When a male friend starts referring to a female friend as his “wifey” or “wife” in a playful manner, it could mean that he has more serious feelings for her.
This may be a subconscious way of hinting at his attraction and the potential desire for a romantic relationship.
He might be trying to get a sense of how she feels about him, and if she’s open to the idea of taking their friendship to the next level.
Significance of the term “wife”
The term “wife” means commitment, love, and a lifelong partnership.
When a man jokingly refers to a woman as his wife, it often means that the idea of marriage or a serious commitment has crossed his mind.
It might not mean that he’s ready to propose right away, but it shows that he’s thinking about the future and what it would be like to spend his life with you.
It’s important to consider the context in which the term is used and how long you know the guy.
If you’ve been friends for a long time, it might just be a friendly joke that you’re like a married couple because of how close you are or how well you know each other.
In this case, the term “wife” might not have any romantic implications, but simply be a playful way of acknowledging your close friendship.
On the other hand, if you haven’t known each other for very long, using the term “wife” could be a bit more serious.
It might be a sign that the guy is attracted to you and is thinking of the possibility of a romantic relationship with you.
He may be trying to gauge your reaction and see if you’re open to the idea of something more than friendship.
How to Respond When a Guy Jokingly Calls You His Wife?
1. Laugh it off and play along with the joke.
2. Ask if he’s serious or just teasing.
3. Tell him “Only in your dreams!”
4. Tell him that you find the joke inappropriate or offensive.
5. Blush and act shy or embarrassed.
6. Say, “Well, I do make a great wife” with a wink.
7. Tell him that you’re not interested in marriage.
8. Say, “Maybe one day, if you play your cards right.”
9. Joke back and call him your husband.
10. Change the subject.
11. Tell him that you prefer to be called your own name.
12. Remind him that you’re already in a committed relationship.
13. Tell him you’re flattered, but not interested in being more than friends.
14. Say, “I hope you’re a good provider then!” and laugh.
15. Tell him that you’re not the marrying type.
16. Ask if he’s proposing.
17. Say, “Only if you cook dinner every night!”
18. Ask him what his parents would think of you being his wife.
19. Say, “I’ve always wanted a big wedding!” and continue with the joke.
20. Say, “I’m not sure I’m ready for that kind of commitment.”
21. Tell him that you’re flattered, but it’s too soon to talk about marriage.
22. Tell him that you prefer being friends.
23. Smile and say, “Thank you, but I think we should take things slow.”
Read next: 30 Best Places to Find a Good Man to Marry