Dating websites are popular for finding dates. They can be a very lucrative business if you have a good idea and angle for one, but if the headline for your website doesn’t catch attention, your advertising efforts will be for nothing. Here are a few things to keep in mind when deciding the best headline for your dating website.
Keep In Mind
If you are trying to snag people for a dating website, keep in mind that people have shorter attention spans and less trust in advertisers than they did years ago. If you ever saw an old advertisement from around 1950, you would have seen longer copy, and a simpler headline style. However, in these modern times, headlines must be clever to catch you audience’s attention with a few believable words.
Did YOU know?
1) Only 9 percent of women and 2 percent of men found a relationship at a bar or club
2) 38% of singles are using online dating
3) One in six marriages now begin online
Importance of a Headline
A headline is the first thing a customer sees and is what attracts them to your website and product. It is their first impression of your business and what you are offering. Your headlines should give your customer a strong idea of what your product is and be aimed toward the type of customer that will buy your product. If your customer is not snagged by your headline, he will not continue into the crucial body copy.
- Use a headline that promises to reveal a secret or aims at a specific customer type that can relate strongly to what you are saying.
-I have a secret you won’t find anywhere else…
-There are two kinds of girls who will date you…
- Make use of curiosity. Humans are curious by nature. Using a headline that draws them to your website with curiosity will lead them to want to read your body copy. The problem with this type of headline is that it can be very hard to create as well, but if you can do it, it will serve your website well and draw many customers.
-Want to see? Better than dating…
-No more Date jitters. Right here!
- People don’t trust advertisers as much as they used to anymore. Since most people know that an advertiser is not going to highlight the downfalls in his product, they feel less inclined to believe everything he says. However, people are more likely to believe testimonials from people who have used the product or people they admire. They feel that this person is more like them and less likely to lie or put unnecessary glitter on a product.
- Putting action in a headline is like having someone shout “Go, go, go!” at the beginning of a race. It encourages you to do something that you would not ordinarily do, either by putting you in the position of the advertisement’s action. Use action to get your audience’s heartbeat moving, excite them, and get them to move!
-I’m dating, and I’m a nerd…
-About to quit when…Oh, wow!
- Everybody loves to laugh, and getting him or her to laugh will endear them to what you are trying to sell them. Get your audience to see the bright side of your product. However, make sure to keep in mind that jokes in headlines can easily offend. You will want to avoid offensive headlines and make your joke headlines as enjoyable as possible to your audience.
-Someone said you were Mr. Right. Here is Mrs. Right.
-We can tell everyone we met at the coffee shop.
Headlines to Avoid
- Leaving a headline that is sleazy or offensive to one gender is ineffective. You don’t want to use headlines that are crude or so intimate that it puts an inappropriate picture in your audience’s heads. Using headlines that are general and classy will cause your audience to have respect for your company and not see you as a “do anything to sell” company.
- Don’t creep out your audience with weird headlines that make it sound as if you have a bunch of stalkers on your website. Remember that most people are skeptical of dating websites and making it seem like a bunch of serial killers are your only dating population will definitely deter them. Phrases like “Desperate Datehunters” or “Ladykiller Destination” will not attract people to your website.
- Don’t make your headline sound as if you are running a date service for desperate people who will do anything for a date. No one wants to think of him or herself as desperate. Make the headline for your dating website sound like a service that can deliver a good enjoyable date.
You see, it only takes a little thought to make great headlines that will help your dating service become a lucrative business. Now that you know what people like and don’t like, you can apply it to your headline and start catching customer’s attention. Good luck creating your headline!